Misery with a Mazzer

For non-TMC members to ask questions and offer comments

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Postby Guest » Tue Feb 22, 2005 5:19 pm

Still can't see any pics - your plastic bottle setup sounds just like something I could use. Has anyone else had this problem and resolved it as you guys have gone to all this time and trouble to help - its like offering scrumptous food to someone on a strict diet! Gimme gimme gimme.

Cheers,

DV

Postby phil » Tue Feb 22, 2005 5:26 pm

Still can't see any pics

DV

Mea culpa - I've just checked the forum permissions re viewing attachments. :oops:

Try again. Sorry
La Spaziale Spazio 2 group semi-auto

La Spaziale Lusso grinder (espresso),
Macap MC4 shop grinder (brewed coffee)
Three Thor tampers
Two Hottops, first since Feb 2003
No partridge, no pear tree either
Conas, Zassenhaus hand grinder....
phil
Founder Member

Postby Raf » Tue Feb 22, 2005 5:32 pm

Well, DV (btw, didn't you get a membership? You did apply, didn't you? It's strange that you use a 'guest' account). In return for our advice, we do expect to hear how things are going! And later on: a MM 'e' review for the site ;)

Strange that your factory setting is at 6 and mine at 1. But unless you're looking to make Turkish coffee, I wouldn't worry about all those settings. I hardly ever move it more than three or five notches to the left or the right.
This week I am eagerly anticipating the first god shots from my La Spaziale machine....

La Spaziale S1, Vibiemme Domobar (retd), Mazzer Mini Electronic, Behmor 1600 230V
Raf
Founder Member

Postby Beanie » Tue Feb 22, 2005 5:59 pm

DV,

Yeah, there's a bit of stiffness in mine too... which didn't seem so on the Mini ME at Joey's place, Mocca Club. It doesn't bother me much though as in my home environment, I don't have to adjust every time, like at Joey's. And you'll get the hang of it, I usually go over by about a notch, notch and a half, and when I turn back, I always get to where I want. Also, I don't notice it much nowadays and don't know whether to owe it to getting used to it or whether it's a little more broken in now.

I use my grinder mainly for espresso shots and that usually means, depending on the beans used, grinding between 9 notches and 15 notches from the true zero point (which on mine is just past the 8 on the dial). Alternatively, this means 4-10 notches to the left of the sticker arrow point, so based on my dial, that's between 9.0 and 9.6.

I tested last night on coarser grounds for my Eva Solo and used the settings between 1 and 2 on the engraved dial whereas my espresso is usually between 9 and 0 on the dial. I'm not sure if there are other brew methods applicable for the other ranges.

Hope the pictures are visible for you now.

BTW, which city are you in?

Cheers,
Marcy
This week, I'm mainly recovering :DAll I've got is my Aerobie AeroPress | 70's Aurora/Brugnetti HX Spring Lever | Mazzer Mini E & SJ (on loan) | Hottop | Nestor Martin (Toto) Gas Roaster | Eva Solo | Moka Pots
Beanie

Postby Guest » Tue Feb 22, 2005 6:01 pm

Hi Raf,

I did apply for membership on the 19th but haven't yet had a reply from 'admin@toomuchcoffee.com'.

So as I was panicking that I just might have had a duff machine - highly unlikely although in my case I am lucky when things don't go bad..... and I found this excellent forum.

So far these replies have helped restore my confidence to carry on.

Phil, WOW! I can see those big clear photos now!

Yes I will give feedback now that I can see the pics just as soon as I get the opportunity to 'play' in the kitchen.

Cheers and thx for all your efforts,

DV

Postby Guest » Tue Feb 22, 2005 6:21 pm

Hi Marcy,

Now that I can see the these beautifully clear photos I realise that the numbers stamped on the top of the dial are different for each machine probably due to something like the thread cutting process not been aligned with the casting numbers. This is why we all have a lable for the reference point. I wondered why the manual didn't give example starting points for different coffee grinds.

I'll probably get the kitchen to myself sometime tomorrow then I'll give all your suggestions a try. I certainly feel a lot more confident and happier now.

I live on the South coast of England in the seaside town of Eastbourne - a few miles East of Brighton.

Cheers and I can't thank you guys enough for all your support,

DV

Postby phil » Tue Feb 22, 2005 7:16 pm

DV wrote:I did apply for membership on the 19th

Oh good grief I'm sorry, have I dropped the ball? I was very, very tired on Saturday night (check out my avatar for clues as to why) and I must have missed that one. :oops:

<Grovels most humbly>

Drop me another line DV and I'll fix my oversight pronto!
La Spaziale Spazio 2 group semi-auto

La Spaziale Lusso grinder (espresso),
Macap MC4 shop grinder (brewed coffee)
Three Thor tampers
Two Hottops, first since Feb 2003
No partridge, no pear tree either
Conas, Zassenhaus hand grinder....
phil
Founder Member

Postby Joey » Wed Feb 23, 2005 1:26 am

Cool Beany-Girl!
Why didn't you come up with that smart idea when you were at my place?
Saved the best for yourself, didn't you? >lol<
I really like your idea, Marcie. Just wonder if the grounds will stick to the bottle then - you know my static problem....
Greetings from the MC
Joey
"Latte" is french for "you've paid too much for your coffee"
Joey

Postby Beanie » Wed Feb 23, 2005 3:56 pm

Cuppa Joey! Actually, the other half, was the genius. He cut a piece of paper and taped it into a funnel shape. I just "upgraded" his idea :wink:

And besides, we only started having this problem when we cut out the grid in the chute which we did after having seen yours!!! Before that, no static, no mess... just stuck grounds which we would have to grind out before the next shot.

There's a bit of static on the plastic but a slight little tick on the side/top of the contraption loosens it. I'll take a picture when I do the next shot.

Wishing I was at the MC,
Marcy
This week, I'm mainly recovering :DAll I've got is my Aerobie AeroPress | 70's Aurora/Brugnetti HX Spring Lever | Mazzer Mini E & SJ (on loan) | Hottop | Nestor Martin (Toto) Gas Roaster | Eva Solo | Moka Pots
Beanie

Postby Joey » Thu Feb 24, 2005 12:13 pm

oops, I forgot I said I'll send you the left over grid - do you still want it?
I really can't work with it as my coffees get stucked using it.
In the meantime we are all used to brushing the funnel after every grind session ;-)
YOu know, not all of them get static, it depends on the molecular structure of some of the beans, I guess....or the dryness - whatever. But I also can't say that it happens with oily or dry roasted beans - it 's kinda both, sometimes..
Again - whatever. I am used to spill some grounds... smells nice btw >lol<

wish you were here, too
yesterday Alex, RUtger and I have had a loooot of fun!

Joey
Joey

Postby Guest » Thu Feb 24, 2005 2:10 pm

Nope, don't need it anymore. Use too many different types of beans a day to bother with it. Would waste too much that way.

I collect all my left over grinds into a little bowl and put it in my freeze to absord any possible icky smells.

DV, how are you getting on with your grinder? Getting happier by the day, hopefully :-)

Postby Beanie » Thu Feb 24, 2005 2:15 pm

Oops, that was me. Didn't realise I wasn't logged on. Duh!

M
Beanie

Postby Joey » Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:35 pm

Absorbing odors? Wow, I usually take baking powder.... must try with coffee....
How we get along?
In the meantime the Mazzer and I are buddies. He still makes some mess, but I like it that he is so easy to adjust.

For our guest:
BTW, my grinder settings vary between 9 and 12,5.
"1" is the 10th notch for me, so basically I am in the range of on notch left or 2,5 notches above 1...I count the single notches, that's why 1 = 10 for me...

But as I am aware - not even the finest grind on the Mazzer makes is turkish. Turkish is still much finer. On the other side - you can brew it, too, and get a descent strong cup, I guess ;-)
Joey

Previous

Return to Open House