Too Much Coffee Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
dscOffline
Post subject: stove top milk steamers  PostPosted: Dec 26, 2009 - 09:56 PM

Hi everyone,

my parents drink only milk based coffee drinks and use a whirly milk frother. If you practice with it you can actually get quite a decent consistency, but it falls apart after a minute or two. So I thought I would get them something like this:

Anyone knows where I can get something like this in the UK/Europe? Perhaps someone here used it?

Regards,
dsc.

Mahlkonig Guatemala for FP/drip, Elektra T1 for sale, Gaggia Classic in progress

Reply with quote Back to top
SkippyOffline
Post subject: RE: stove top milk steamers  PostPosted: Dec 26, 2009 - 10:05 PM

I didn't even know something like that existed!

dr.chrisOffline
Post subject: RE: stove top milk steamers  PostPosted: Dec 26, 2009 - 10:07 PM

You can see exactly how it works - I wonder if you could improvise something with a pressure cooker although its not the most practical of options

brucebOffline
Post subject: RE: stove top milk steamers  PostPosted: Dec 26, 2009 - 10:41 PM

Tom, I have one of those some where in the third-floor storage room. It's old, but never been used, silver, not black. PM me if you're interested. I'll have to look for it, but it's there somewhere.
'

GMRK
Post subject: RE: stove top milk steamers  PostPosted: Dec 27, 2009 - 11:03 AM

I had a white enamelled Bialetti version of one of these years ago which I got from a 2nd hand shop in Greenwich for £1.00 as the shop ower said he couldn't figure out how to make coffee with it.

They work ok and you certainly learn something about steaming milk from them, I used mine alongside my Bialetti moka pot and had many happy cappuccinos from it once I worked out my preparation timings and steaming technique.

EspressoSquirrelOffline
Post subject: RE: stove top milk steamers  PostPosted: Dec 27, 2009 - 11:52 AM

I have always thought about something like this. This seems like a good solution to those who don't have duel boiler machines like me. Are they powerful enough?

brucebOffline
Post subject: RE: stove top milk steamers  PostPosted: Dec 27, 2009 - 12:14 PM

This is basically a "steam toy" and steam toys are known for producing copious amounts of steam. In fact, the design is such that there is a basket for coffee inside so you can make what is virtually a mocha and then froth milk for it. I have never tried that, but have heard that the brew is pretty awful. However, for steaming these things are great.

GMRK
Post subject: Re: RE: stove top milk steamers  PostPosted: Dec 27, 2009 - 06:22 PM

bruceb wrote:
This is basically a "steam toy" and steam toys are known for producing copious amounts of steam. In fact, the design is such that there is a basket for coffee inside so you can make what is virtually a mocha and then froth milk for it. I have never tried that, but have heard that the brew is pretty awful. However, for steaming these things are great.

There's no coffee basket/filter in these, it's basically a moka pot base with a steam pipe/'wand' and valve, they steam milk ok from my experience, and that's all they're designed for or meant to do.

BombcupOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: stove top milk steamers  PostPosted: Dec 27, 2009 - 06:51 PM

I like the look of that, I could use a frother to partner the Peppina on days like this when I could murder a flattie. Checked the current Bialetti catalogue but it looks like its been discontinued. Would defo be interested if anyone has one to get rid of.

It's called the Bialetti Graziella Vap 9.

dscOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: stove top milk steamers  PostPosted: Dec 28, 2009 - 10:34 PM

Hi guys,

Bruce: PM sent.

BC: I had trouble finding it anywhere in the UK, I know you can buy them oversees, but I doubt it's easily available in Europe.

Regards,
dsc.

Mahlkonig Guatemala for FP/drip, Elektra T1 for sale, Gaggia Classic in progress

jossyOffline
Post subject: good review  PostPosted: Dec 29, 2009 - 03:14 PM

there's quite an insightful review for this item on coffeegeek:
http://coffeegeek.com/reviews/accessories/stovetopfrother/secretbarista/5524

DSC, once you get the device please let us know if you can confirm the rubber aftertaste picked up by the reviewer....

Quest M3 - iRoast2 - Mahlkönig Vario - PIDed Gaggia Classic at home - - Electric Cezve/Ibriki and Iberital MC2 at work - Aeroporess - Hario TCA Syphons - Hario Skerton and Porlex Hand Grinders - Chemex

Jump to: