Too Much Coffee Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
dscOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 15, 2009 - 10:03 PM

Hi icke,

have a read here:

http://www.jimseven.com/2008/01/03/tds-chemex-and-londons-terrible-water/

http://www.jimseven.com/2009/06/16/extractmojo/

Regards,
dsc.

Mahlkonig Guatemala for FP/drip, Elektra T1 for sale, Gaggia Classic in progress

Last edited by dsc on Dec 28, 2009 - 02:50 PM; edited 1 time in total

Reply with quote Back to top
GlennOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 27, 2009 - 11:30 PM

60g/L is a good starting point
With some coffees I am using 70g/L and with others 56g/L

Taste is as important as hitting the 'ideal' box if you are charting the extraction %'s

The best part is enjoying the coffee and learning how to spot the faults. A real eye opener.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger  
brucebOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 28, 2009 - 11:58 AM

dsc wrote:

It looks like James removed the page on the extractmojo. I get a 404 Not Found on it.

dscOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 28, 2009 - 02:51 PM

Hi Bruce,

my bad, there's an unwanted comma at the end of the link. I've removed it from my original post so it should work now.

Regards,
dsc.

Mahlkonig Guatemala for FP/drip, Elektra T1 for sale, Gaggia Classic in progress

RujirOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 06, 2010 - 06:06 PM

Hi guys, can anyone tell what is the difference between Chemex and Hario V60? I want to buy one of them and I can't decide. What would you say, which one is better? Or is it even possible to say that one is better than the other?

al_bongoOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 09, 2010 - 09:17 PM

Both are good. There's quite a bit of propaganda re Hario especially. My interest in the Hario and knowledge of how to use one comes from barismo.com

In a nut shell as I understand it the traditional way to use the Chemex is add coffee and fill her up with water and let it drip. With the Hario you control the rate of flow of water through the coffee by adjusting grind but more importantly by adjusting the rate of pour.

The flow of water through the Hario is faster because as well as the large hole in the bottom the cone is ribbed so water flows through all of the coffee not just through the exposed bit of the cone at the end hence the importance of using a slow pour.

In actual fact the differences are not so defined because you can use a slow pour method with the Chemex which I think is like a hybrid of the two approaches.

RujirOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 09, 2010 - 10:35 PM

And can you tell me if there is any difference in the actual taste of the coffee? I mean there is a difference between cofffee prepared in French Press and Chemex. Is there any such difference between Hario and Chemex?

al_bongoOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 10, 2010 - 11:52 AM

Not as marked a difference as FP v Chemex. I kind of alternate between the Hario and the Chemex.
The Chemex I think is more full bodied but is easy to end up with a slightly over extracted bitterness ie if you get the grind wrong.
For me the Hario is less full bodied but with more of the subleties of the coffee.
The coffee is different but for me one isn't better than the other.
I think it depends a lot on how you use them.
If I were to choose one I'd choose the Chemex because I've been using it longer and on the whole probably get a better cup, more often, for my palette out of the Chemex, although I think my technique with the Hario is improving.

RujirOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 10, 2010 - 12:36 PM

Many thanks for your answer. This is exactly what I needed to know...

shmOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 28, 2010 - 03:41 PM

I posted an new thread on the Chemex but perhaps I should have actually posted my question here. My Chemex will not be replacing my espresso machine anytime soon I think

Jump to: